Tuesday, January 30, 2007

angry

What Can I Pray When I'm Angry?
by Terry Gooding

* Lord God, I pray that I will become wise and learn to hold back my temper. "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control" (Prov. 29:11).
* Help me not go to bed with anger in my heart. "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry" (Eph. 4:26).
* Cause me to put aside anger and wrath from my life. "But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage . . . " (Col. 3:8).
* Teach me to be a person who is understanding and slow to anger. "A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly" (Prov. 14:29).
* Give me strength to turn away from anger and seek the righteousness of God. "For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires" (Jas. 1:20).
* Help me not to be the kind of person who causes conflict. "An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins" (Prov. 29:22).
* Guide me so that my anger will not become sin. "In your anger do not sin" (Eph. 4:26).
* Show me how to be careful of my words so that I do not stir up anger in other people. "A harsh word stirs up anger" (Prov. 15:1).
* Teach me not to hold anger in my heart. "Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools" (Eccl. 7:9).

(Reprinted from Pray!'s online archives, Issue #28 January/Februry 2002.)

No comments: