Thursday, July 29, 2010

What should we believe?

In a recent exchange with a friend, we were talking about a public interview with a person who was fired because his personal views were different than the organization. It had to do with the fact that his views were becoming more liberal in a notably conservative organization. It was a Christian (some would say conservative/fundamental)organization.

For me, it begged the question: how do we handle diversity in the midst of the growing Christian community?

I have included my response to my friend with some minor edits.

"Very good interview. I really like the interviewer. She always does a great job of getting to the real person, rather than just the sensationalism. Once when she miscued on an interview, she came on the air and apologized and forced the interviewee to apologize as well! I was impressed.

A couple pointed comments:

1) Yes he was fired, but I do not believe this was his sole means of employment. I guess losing your job from a organization that you faithfully served for many years is very hurtful.
2) Organizations of the "religious right" have certainly lost credibility in the last 5 yrs. As has Dobson, FRC, moral majority, etc. And I think we have to ask is this good or bad?
3) yet the "religious right" are still holding to a remnant of loyalists, and they feel like that is a Biblical model. So I believe this core of loyalists, this remnant, as it were will remain loyal to the end.
4) these are hard issues. There is no one CHRISTIAN answer. The great value of the church is our unity in the midst of our diversity. You know this, we talk about it all the time.
5) I am an evangelical. I would even say I am a fundamentalist, in the proper use of that word.
6) does that mean I am a 6 day creationist? Does that mean I think adultery is acceptable and homosexuality is an abomination? Does that mean I do not think women can teach men from the pulpit? Does that mean I believe women must wear head coverings? I get confused over half these questions.
7) what is a fundamentalist today? A fundamentalist is a person who holds to the fundamentals of belief. A Christian fundamentalist, is one who holds to the basic tenets of Christianity. I think you are a fundamentalist! Really! The way you teach and model evangelism is a clear indicator that you are a fundy!
But fundamentalism has become a bad word. What it really means is a follower of Jesus Christ, who believes the Bible is authoritative, the trinity is real: Christ lived on earth & died so I could know God the Father and the Holy Spirit is active today.
8) all of this is confusing and hard! There are no easy answers."

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Eric Holmer said...

Great questions here!

Exactly how big (or small) is the circle you can draw of orthodoxy before someone can no longer be "on the inside"?

And not only that, but I'm sure this process looks somewhat different for Evangelical Christians, or Catholic Christians, Orthodox Christians and mainline denomination Christians?

I believe there is indeed a core to each of these that is expressed in the historical creeds that is non-negotiable for any Christian regardless of their particular stream.

Beyond that I think I still have a lot of thinking to to as well.