Monday, May 15, 2006

Grace - "The New Legalism"

A student made an interesting comment tonight. It got me thinking. Well actually I've had this thought before. She said something like: I know I'm supposed to do these "good works" because I get to do them, but I just feel like it's not enough.

Are we trying so hard to live by grace, that it has actually become a new kind of works righteousness. It's not really the 'Sin all the more' stuff that captivates us (that would be a form of anti-nominism). But I think it has become more of a perfectionism - I want to be the 'best Christian' I can be by showing God how good I am at being in a relationship with Him. Does that make sense?

So what is it? How do I live on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE EQUATION, without making it another thing that I strive to achieve? It's not about being lazy or complacent. But it is also not about striving hard to prove myself to God. It really is hard work. Like a marriage (and I believe God gave us marriage as a little tangible model of having a relationship with Him) there is nothing better but it takes a lot of effort and honesty. I can't 'work' at my relationship with Carolyn because then for some reason it just seems a little disingenuous. I just have to be in my relationship with her. Flowers on Mother's day is not a 'good work' - it's an expression of my love. I shouldn't have to think about that. But I also hurt her (sometimes knowingly and sometimes inadvertantly). I seek my own interest. I'm prideful. I retaliate when I should forgive. Each of these issues deserves and gets a response - sometimes involving pain (for both of us). But it is just all a part of marriage.

So it is with the Lord - "Cease Striving and know that I am God"(gen), "Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest"(matt 11:28), "There remains then a Sabbath-Rest for the people of God." (heb 4:9). Do we get it? It's hard work, but oh so easy. It's impossible, but God helps us make it possible.

No comments: