Monday, July 17, 2006

and SO the Old Testament.... yea what was I thinkin'

In this summer when I am putting some work into spiritual formation and spiritual direction, I decided to take a class in Old Testament Theology. I'm in Charlottesville, taking a 1 week intensive at the C'ville Christian Study Center. I'm trusting in the midst of this that the Holy Spirit will somehow translate OT theology to Spiritual Formation stuff.

In class last night, we spent 3 hours in Genesis 1-3. And I learned that because of issues related to the Fall, "Life is Upside Down (inversion) and Inside Out (expulsion)." In other words things are incredibly messed up! God's design was for us (humans) to be vice-regents (with Him) over the earth. We were designed to worship Him and rule the world. Positionally, it was to be God, us, animals; but in the fall - humans took orders from the serpant (animals) and disobeyed God. We flipped the order from God -> Human -> Animals TO Animals -> Humans -> God. Then while we were supposed to be in the Garden - because of our disobedience we were kicked out (expelled) from the Garden.

Now hasn't it been that way ever since? I find myself so controlled by the earth and not really having dominion over it. I'm concerned about the weather everyday (maybe too much so). I fear the wind (hurricanes). I jump when a dog barks. When I'm working in the yard I'm looking for snakes. And really I'm not a fearful guy! ALSO: It's hard work for me to worship God - but easy for me to worship about everything else that crosses my mind or eye. I know how it's supposed to be. I know I want to worship God and rule the world, but the disobedience problem still gets in the way.

Well it's gotta be about Jesus, I am reminded (as I read Genesis) of Philippians 2:5-11. Jesus is the answer He is the ruler who shows us in his humanity how to rule and in His divinity how to be worshipped.

Philippians 2:5-11 --
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.


Now that is a perspective I can understand: Paul also says: "Copy me as I copy Christ."

No comments: