Friday, July 14, 2006

Discipling Part 2

Am I approaching this all too simply?


In a conversation this AM, I said: "There is a great need for men to "disciple" men." In reply, a friend said, "Discipleship is really hard!".

As you can probably imagine, my quick reply was: "Oh, it is not. It is very easy if you can just take a little initiative, then you can disciple." The conversation got kindof intense at this point. As the talk ensued we really embarked on the 2 primary tracks of discipling, Curriculum and Process.

His reply to me was: "Discipling is more than just hanging out with another man. It is intentionally helping him grow in:
1) Assurance of salvation
2) Daily study of the Word
3) Articulating the whole Gospel to a seeker.
4) Learning to forgive and offer forgiveness.
5) Being in a church, a small group and regular fellowship.
6) Talking to God regularly. (prayer).
Most men do not have the knowledge or the resources to be able to train another man in these areas. They really just have the time to spend daily time in the Word themselves and try to raise their families in a Godly way."

OK, I was pretty upset at this point!

I cannot take exception with these points. I really believe them! I actually kindof use these "topics" in my discipling. It is the classic Curriculum model of discipling. But my struggle is the attitude of how we need to be prepared in order to disciple (or evangelize, or share a testimony or whatever). And we are so "busy" or whatever that we cannot take the initiative. I would contend - like riding a bike - once we start doing it we get better & better!

Am I totally naive here?

Of course discipling is more than getting together and talking about the World Cup (which we men tend to do). But I am convinced, as I meet with another guy, talk about sports, then family, then work, then 'How I(we) have seen God at work in my(our) life this week' then we are "discipling". Or maybe we can talk about how the sermon on temptation on Sunday really helped me in my personal struggles this week.

So for me Discipling is less about agenda and curriculum and more about taking initiative, getting to know another believer and sharing the big picture of what God is doing in us and around us. It's a process of helping another believer learn to grow closer to Christ.

No comments: