Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cruciform

OK, so I've learned a new word. Cruciform. Dictionary.com says: Cru-ci-form(krs-fôrm)
adj. Shaped like a cross;

To put this adjective in front of anything makes it take on incredible meaning: cruciform church, cruciform evangelism, cruciform preaching...

I'm not sure about words not related to kingdom work, cruciform breakfast, cruciform car repair, but for eccleiastical words - WOW! it has incredible impact.

Do I approach my discipleship, shaped like the cross? Am I an evangelist, shaped by the cross? Is my church - shaped like the cross.

So what is the other side? Isn't the church still the church even if I don't say CRUCIFORM? I think what it does, at least for me, is it puts a renewed focus on what the subject is all about. Sometimes if I'm in discipleship mode - it can really be all about me. But if my discipleship is cruciform then it means that I've gotta get out of the way. It's all about Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marty, I've come to appreciate the word "cruciform" as well. Check out The Cruciform Life blog at www.cruciformlife.wordpress.com.