Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Authenticity

I know authenticity is the key word these days on people 'getting into church'. If it is not Authentic then this generation doesn't want anything to do with it!

So what does Authenticity mean, really? WIKI tells me that it refers to the courage to live one's life according to the needs of one's inner being rather than the demands of society, external factors or one's early conditioning.

In a faith community I think it means living life not by saying the right thing, but by telling the real circumstances, the real story. I might know what I "Should" do, but in my plodding along I practice a different thing.

What do I hear on campus?
" I don't go to church because I find the sermons and stories I hear are not Authentic."
"The church is full of hypocrites"
" How can I attend a church that talks about a loving God, but then openly rejects 10% of the population"
" I don't think anyone is capable of living authentically"
"Once you show me a community based on faith & authenticiy then I will pursue your community."

OK, then what is one to do? I feel living authentically is so hard in society. Perhaps I am open and honest with one group (to a certain respectful level, of course) but I can't maintain that level of honesty with everyone. Also, I am in a bit of a fishbowl as a Christian leader (well I really am). So I think that controls what I can share openly - I hope I am not just playing that game because I have been assimilated to believe it. If I practice a habit, that is unpopular in the conventional Christian community. I certainly would be open to share it with my core friends, (especially if they are prone to practice it with me), and I might even tell a broader audience. But would I "Shout it from the Housetops" or say it from the pulpit (fortunately, my ministry does not put me in the pulpit very often). Probably not! Does that limit my AUTHENTICITY? Well I hope not, but how can I tell?

In a recent conversation with a young man, we were talking about qualities of discipling, or disciplemaking. I asked what is the most memorable quality of your mentor. By the way, I said that the most memorable quality of my mentors has been their willingness to take me to the next level in Christ. This young man said that the thing that drew him into this mentoring relationship was the discipler's Authenticity! I said: "What do you mean?" His reply: "Growing up in a religious home, I saw all of the inconsistency of the message from the pulpit and the behavior at home! But this mentor, boldly told me his flaws! He shared that he was unloving to family & friends, broken in morals, prone to wander, but God was still real and changing him everyday."

Could he be that honest & authentic with everyone? Well I think not, but I don't know how far to throw the net. Who gets included in my circle of authenticity?

No comments: