Friday, July 11, 2008

My 54 Years in 54 Sentences or so...

1954 - Sports Illustrated magazine is first published. Earl & Esther Purks give birth to a son, me in Washington, DC.
1955 - The phrase "In God We Trust" is added to all US Currency. I learn to crawl following "Skippy" the bird.
1956 - Don Larsen pitches a perfect game in the World Series. I "steal" my dad's bank book from his shirt pocket every night. 
1957 - Schools in Little Rock, AR are integrated with the help of the US Army. I watch my Uncle count all the bricks in my house. 
1958 - Elvis Presley receives his draft notice. I runaway from my mom on 14th St in DC.
1959 - Alaska & Hawaii officially become states. I visit Ocean City, MD for the 1st time.
1960 - Elvis is discharged from Army. I runaway from my family in my neighborhood, My dad had the police looking for me.
1961 - Bob Dylan debuts. I make kids in my neighborhood sing my song: "Martin the Great"
1962 - The President of the United States acquired 1200 Cuban Cigars the day before the Cuban embargo. My Fam & I moved to Richmond, VA.
1963 - CS Lewis, Aldous Huxley & John F. Kennedy die on the same day. When the President was shot all the adults were quiet. I liked helping my dad work in his restaurant.
1964 - Beatles are first heard in the US. I like music - 45RPMs.
1965 - Martin Luther King Jr marches from Selma to Montgomery. Neighborhood boys (Randall, Randy, Carl & I) played sports every afternoon.
1966 - Indira Gandhi becomes Prime Minister of India. I enter J.R. Tucker School as a 7th Grader. 
1967 - Super Bowl I. I quit band and start playing football.
1968 - RFKennedy is slain in LA. MLKing is slain in Ga. I start to notice girls.
1969 - First man on the moon! I stay up all night to see it on TV.
1970- Redskins fall to 6-8, I end my tenure as a 'Skins fan FOREVER.
1971 - NPR's "All Things Considered" debuts. I am appointed Chaplain of Tucker HS FCA. I read the "Scroll" of the Lord's Prayer every week.
1972 - Watergate Scandal erupts. Tucker HS YL Club begins. I met Jesus Christ. Discipled by Doug Holladay.
1973 - Secretariat wins the Triple Crown. I met Carolyn Smith, after an unrequited 'crush' on her older sister.
1974 - The end of the UCLA basketball winning streak (88). I joined YL staff in Richmond, VA (Tucker HS). Discipled by Tuck Knupp.
1975 - "Jaws" is released in the summer. I am busy trying to squeeze 4 years into 5 of college education. I coach JV football at Tucker.
1976 - Apple Computer begins (Jobs & Wozniak). I graduated from VCU. I work as a Assistant Data Input Comptroller for Miller & Rhoads.
1977 - Seattle Slew wins the Triple Crown. My dad passes away peacefully. I manage a restaurant. Midlothian HS YL club began.
1978 - Affirmed wins the Triple Crown. Hopewell HS YL began. I marry Carolyn Smith
1979 - Margaret Thatcher becomes PM of England. Monacan YL club began. Discipled by Tim Keller.
1980 - The 1st personal computer is released. Meadowbrook HS YL club began. I was ordained for the ministry.
1981 - Walter Cronkite retires. We move to Heidelberg Germany! Skiing in Austria.
1982 - West Germany is in the World Cup finals (we were living there at the time!) Heidelberg HS YL club began. Skiing in Switzerland. I coach football & wrestling at Heidelberg HS.
1983 - "Beat it" by Michael Jackson hits #1. 100 Heidelberg kids to Greece. Swimming in the Aegean Sea.
1984- Winter Olympics in Sarajevo. Heidelberg MS WYLD Life club began. I play the "Old Course" & par "The Road Hole" Tripp Purks enters the world. Skiing in Sarajevo.
1985 - New Coke rises & falls in one year! Skiing in Italy. 75 Heidelberg Kids to Tunisia. We move to Williamsburg, VA.  I start college discipling and move away from HS evangelism.
1986 - Elie Wiesel wins the Nobel Peace Prize. Developing College leaders for the church of the future. Discipled by Mel Rosche
1987 - Ronald Reagan: "Mr Gorbachev, Tear Down That (Berlin) Wall!" Bobby Purks enters the world. "I work in the 4/40 window - 4 years of preparation for 40 years of ministry."
1988 - A series of evangelists resign from public ministry after confessing to sexual sin.  Josh McDowell speaks the Gospel to 900 at W&M. It is really hard in 1988 to stand with fallen men who stood for the Gospel. Discipled by Dick Woodward
1989 - The Berlin Wall is broken down. Barnabas-Paul-Timothy ministry. Ft. Lauderdale Evangelism Project with 25 W&M students.
1990 - East and West Germany are reunited. Habitat for Humanity Hurricane Hugo Relief, the 1st IVIS project.
1991 - Ukraine is independent of from the Soviet Union. Chuck Colson speaks the Gospel to 800 at W&M.
1992 - US Troops land in Somalia.  I start re-collecting sports cards.
1993 - Branch Davidian Compound invaded by ATF agents. The Coffeehouse opens in Williamsburg.
1994 - Rawandan Genocide.  
1995 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opens. I learn "Star Wars" & "Pokemon" card games. I start to spend time with the "'98 Fellas" 
1996 - Mother Teresa granted honorary citizenship in US. We took a Sabbatical to Europe.  I spent 3 weeks with C.S. Lewis' stepson. 
1997 - Princess Diana and Mother Theresa die. I begin a Fraternity & Sorority Ministry at W&M.
1998 - Cal "Ironman" Ripken breaks consecutive game record (2632) founded. Aroma's Opens on Prince George St. G+0=RSWG
1999 - Columbine Massacre kills 15. "Greek Impact" is born on the bus ride back from Indy Greek Conference.
2000 - AOL buys Time-Warner. The Daily Grind opens at Lodge 2 location. I begin to hang out with the " '03 Guys"
2001 - 9/11 @ WTC 1. "I agree with Sam" speaks the gospel to 700 W&M students.
2002 - VA & MD Snipers paralyzes travellers. My mom dies peacefully. 
2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates on re-entry into the atmosphere. "Hurrication Isabel" closes Campus for 10 days! Campus Alpha Course on campus.
2004 - Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" is released. Pancake House Outreach is launched on campus.
2005 - Pope John Paul II dies. Learning to walk beside the brothers.
2006 - "Crash" wins best picture.  Learning Agape
2007 - VT massacre 32 killed. I spend the year learning about forgiveness
2008 - Earthquakes & Cyclones kill thoudsands in Asia. Learning to live & speak Gospel.

1 comment:

Abri said...

very creative and fun! hope cville is great