Thursday, February 21, 2008

even in seminary...

I have a friend, a 3rd year seminary student, who is writing a paper on "why people love the Bible." She is doing this through a Facebook message (and a series of replies). The responses have come from a wide range of people at various levels of academic and missional experience. Yet the answers are so similar.

I know the nature of the question leads us to a more emotional response. But almost everyone talks about how the Bible is a guide, an inspiration, it sets this backward world straight, it reminds us of God's love.

I guess I was prepared for more intellectual parlay - or - more anecdotal references. But the Bible according to my friend's friends is designed to Help me! To get me by, to direct by path. To help me avoid sin.

In truth can it really do that?

If so it must have a higher value than just the words on the page. It must function in the divine as well as the earthly. There has got to be a supernatural component to the Scriptures.

As for me: The Bible functions as the way to see a more clear picture of my Lord. Each day and each time I pick it up I see a deeper glimpse of Jesus. And I can hear His voice in my heart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I agree that the we often look at our relationship with God and at the Bible through an emotional lens because it is wrapped up with who we are. But, it is important to remember that the Bible is not about us but about who God is and knowing Him better. Thank you for reminding me of that today, Marty.