Friday, June 16, 2006

Evil & Suffering

Is this really the #1 question people have about faith in God? (Why would a just God allow so much Evil & Suffering in the world?) Well so I am told.

I believe the world does not see a distinction between evil & suffering. Evil, could it be simplified to mean an intent to harm another? And suffering, is pain and brokenness caused by something not being right (an illness, a natural disaster, a circumstance gone wrong, etc.). But today many would say suffering is what is evil. Is that right? We try to do everything possible to avoid suffering. We try to avoid risk. Don't you love the screwdrivers at Lowe's or Home Depot, that say "FAILURE TO USE GOGGLES WHILE USING THIS TOOL COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO LIFE AND LIMB." I mean perhaps, but it almost becomes a psychological disadvantage to read the warning. I end up thinking the whole time I'm using it to tighten the bolts in the Kitchen: 'Oh, I wish I had bought some goggles.'; then the screwdriver slips off, gouging a bit of skin off my knee - and I start to wonder if I'm gonna lose a limb.

One of my mentors, Dick Woodward, suffers more than I (we) can imagine. Pain comes to him - daily, hourly, moment by moment. Yet, he is stronger in Christ as a result of his disability than if he had not had it, because as he is weakened he has had to learn to be more dependent on God. He feels like the disease (a degenerative spine condition) has allowed him to concentrate and focus more on ministry and Bible Study and translation than if he had remained in the pulpit these last 15 years. For Dick the suffering is not evil, it is mobilizing. Instead of reaching a congregation of less than 1,000. He reaches nations, coming close to a billion listeners all from a paralyzed man in Williamsburg Virginia. And he still is able to meet and preach to many who come to his door.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking forward to suffering of any kind. I get scared when I'm stung by a bee, or if my airplane hits some turbulence, or if my skin is gouged by an erratic screwdriver. But I think we better be careful equating Evil and Suffering as one and the same.

Evil can cause suffering. There are forces of evil in the world seeking to do harm. The evil one is prowling like a lion looking for someone to devour. Evil forces unchecked can bring all sorts of trouble.

Can evil come from natural causes? We know that terrorism is evil and we can even define some of the sources. We can name them.

But what about systemic evil - poverty, racism, injustice. We can argue that this evil has a name too. It causes suffering.

But what about natural events: decay of a mind & body due to Alzheimer's or a rare respitorary disease that takes a person's life in days of being healthy or earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. What is the cause of this evil? Is the spiritual battle that rages inclusive of personal, nature & other humans?

Let's wrestle!

No comments: