Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Real Christian?

In a recent conversation with an acquaintance, we were talking about 'Acts of Service'. She mentioned that a friend of hers who was always available, and actually looking for ways to serve was a 'Real Christian'....

Hmm! I kindof resented this classification - because it subtly seemed to exclude me. Rather, I'm not sure she would characterize me as a 'Real Christian'. Oh maybe, she might consider me to be a 'professional Christian', because it is my job (or something). But whatever category she puts me in, we all know this designation of a 'Real Christian'. We've probably been known to use it on occasion.

Now it can have several applications: By some a Real Christian, might be because he/she is "on-fire" for the Lord, or sold-out, or uncompromising - in all of life's matters; such as job/vocation, relationships, time management, etc. For some a Real Christian: might be someone who looks for opportunities to preach the Gospel - uncompromising in evangelism. For some a Real Christian could be linked to his/her theological acuity ("To give every man an answer"). For others, (like my friend) it could be because of their hospitality or ability to serve other people. It just seems to me that while all of these descriptions could be accurate, they also are all based on external factors and could just as easily be performed by people who do not have Christ in their heart.

Dick Woodward has said on many occasions many people are missing Heaven by 18". That is the distance between a person's head and heart. So what does The Bible say about being designated as a Real Christian. Well Acts tells us that "The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch" (acts 11:26) After Barnabas had spent a year there - teaching many. Barnabas was sent to Antioch to help the church and he was characterized as 'a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.'

The Gospel of John says "To all who received Him (Jesus),to those who believed in His Name, He gave the right to become children of God." There aren't any particular refereences to actions, passions or services. It is almost a secret designation. If we 'receive Him', 'believe in His name' - we're in. I guess as my love and understanding grows for Christ then the 'things' I get to do grow as well.

No comments: